Breed-Wise Report of Livestock and Poultry released
Pashu Sandesh, 19 May 2022
Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Parshottam Rupala released the Breed-Wise Report Of Livestock And Poultry based on the 20th Livestock Census on 12th May 2022. Dr L. Murugan, Minister of State, for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, and Atul Chaturvedi, Secretary, Department of Animal Husbandry and Upamanyu Basu, JS were present on the occasion.
The major highlights of the Report are as follows:
- The report has covered 184 recognized indigenous/exotic & crossbred breeds of 19 selected species.
- There are 41 recognized indigenous whereas 4 exotic/crossbred breeds of cattle are covered in this report.
- As per the report, the Exotic and Crossbred animals contribute nearly 26.5% of the total cattle population whereas 73.5% are Indigenous and Non-descript cattle.
- In Exotic/Crossbred cattle. Crossbred Jersey has the highest share with 49.3% as compared to 39.3% of Crossbred Holstein Friesian (HF).
- In total Indigenous Cattle, Gir, Lakhimi and Sahiwal breeds have a major contribution.
- In Buffalo, the Murrah breed majorly contributes with 42.8%.
- In Sheep, there are 3 exotics and 26 indigenous breeds were found in the country. Among the pure exotic breeds, the Corriedale breed majorly contributes with 17.3% and in the indigenous breeds, the Nellore breed contributes the highest in the category with 20.0% share.
- In Goats, there are 28 indigenous breeds found in the country. The Black Bengal breed contributes the highest with 18.6%.
- In exotic/crossbred pigs, crossbred pig contributes 86.6% whereas Yorkshire contributes majorly with 8.4%. In indigenous pigs, the Doom breed major contributes 3.9%.
- In Horse & Ponies, the share of the Marwari breed majorly contributes with 9.8%.
- In Donkeys, the share of the Spiti breed contributes to 8.3%.
- In Camel, the Bikaneri breed majorly contributes with 29.6%.
- In Poultry, desi fowl, and Aseel breed majorly contribute to both backyard poultry and commercial poultry farm.